Tuesday, December 11, 2012

 

Three ways CIOs ensure failure of large IT projects





If we define "failure" using the definition of number of projects that are late, over budget or lack sufficient quality, then I have observed more of my fair share. In a previous life, I was an Enterprise Architect for The Hartford (A Fortune 100 Insurance Carrier) where we frequently worked with Accenture, IBM and Cognizant. During my tenure, I not only observed failure, but managed to observe patterns that makes failure a CIO repeatable best practice...



Now, that I am on the other side of the table, I too sometimes reflect on the practices of competitors and brainstorm better ways to help clients not fail. Sometimes, I am wildly successful by being radically transparent while at other times, I couldn't find the right words to convince that their strategy was suboptimal. Over the past year, I have been shifting my thought process away from Agile Software Developing towards Lean Thinking and therefore have spent a lot of time understanding Toyota. Since, I have cars on my mind, I will attempt to classify CIO-level failures into three buckets using driving as the metaphor since the CIO is usually in the drivers seat:







<< Home
| | View blog reactions


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?