Monday, May 04, 2009

 

Employment Perks for Enterprise Architects

While other IT demographics are starting to get perks such as the ability to work from home, this opportunity usually isn't afforded to those who practice enterprise architecture...



So, if you can't work from home, then what perks are most appealing to you? In conversations with other enterprise architects, the following perks seem to rise to the top.

1. A boss that understands technology. To always have to be on your A game is tiring. Wouldn't it be nice every once in awhile to be able to have a conversation that isn't so distilled and dumbed down?

2. A comfortable chair instead of whatever the leasing company gives us. We sit on our butts a lot and having a nice chair of our choosing goes very far.

3. The sense that attending conferences and education is encouraged, not merely allowed. The ability to network with our real peers allows us to learn, grow and see things that otherwise keep us blind.

4. A career path. No, I am not talking about the abstract stuff drawn by folks in HR. A path that leads them to being CIO and being preferred over outsiders.

5. Give me leeway to be myself. Perception management is important but focusing on whatever it takes to enable the strategic intent of the business is more important. Putting my feet on my own desk is perfectly acceptable behaviour, as is listening to music, eating, having pop on my desk etc. As long as I'm not disturbing anyone else's workflow and I'm meeting all my deadlines/objectives, that's all that matters.






<< Home
| | View blog reactions


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?