Tuesday, August 26, 2008

 

Alternative careers for displaced IT workers

There are lots of articles in the media regarding the declining trend as to why young folks eschew IT as a profession. Many folks including myself attribute much of the dislike towards outsourcing but I suspect that this isn't the whole truth.

The funny thing is that I know more folk who have either retired early or left IT because of incompetent managers who pushed them over the edge with bureaucracy than I do who have left because they were displaced by their jobs being taken by Indian outsourcing firms.

Sadly, industry analyst firms such as Gartner and Forrester can't really survey their clients for this type of data to get at the root cause as it would be politically incorrect for even HR to capture this aspect as part of an exit interview. I wonder though if folks feel I am at least partially right?






<< Home
| | View blog reactions


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?