Friday, October 05, 2007

 

Enterprise Architecture: Thoughts on Charity

The other day, I went to my favorite Pizza shop (Alladin) where I ran across an Architect from the Travelers. We had an interesting conversation regarding charity where I realized that my beliefs are inconsistent...



I really hate when someone finds a gap in my thinking. I have been known to use my blog as a bully pulpit on occasion to preach the notion of charity to others. Many companies around this time of year start promoting United Way which I am against as a concept. The problem is that I believe in charity, I believe that charity should be encouraged by those who are best able to afford it (those who work) but think that United Way is problematic.

One of the things that I believe is that the best way to be charitable is not in outsourcing your personal responsibilities as a human to others in the form of monetary donations but getting personally involved. The charity I support the most is one.org who isn't asking for money but simply asking folks to have conversations regarding poverty on this planet. You can call me delusional, but I truly believe that we can make poverty history by simply talking about it. I need to find a way to talk about important issues without worrying about offending others as this is the most charitable act one can do. Any ideas?






<< Home
| | View blog reactions


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?