Wednesday, July 18, 2007

 

Why Alfresco?

Here is a blog entry that John Newton would be proud of...



Being guilty of reading into this particular blogger's thought, he asserts that most of the customers who choose Alfresco are former Documentum customers who are avoiding the purchase of the product because it is too expensive. My take on this is that customers don't switch vendors due to expense alone and there may be other things at play. I would love to understand whether it is better support, features that customers demand but aren't receiving, out-of-the-box (same SKU) integration with other enterprise applications or something else?

Of course, I know that it isn't because one product supports enterprise security considerations better than another? From what I can tell, none of the ECM vendors support SPML, SAML, XACML and so on. I am equally curious why I haven't observed conversations in the blogosphere of Oracle or Filenet customers switching to Alfresco and makes me curious what it is about those products that keeps folks around? Is it because they are cheaper, support important architecture styles such as SOA, etc.







<< Home
| | View blog reactions


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?