Thursday, December 28, 2006
Why software vendors should consider pitching to bloggers in addition to industry analysts...
Here are some things for software vendors to noodle...
- Bloggers have literary licenses that journalists and industry analysts do not.
- Sometimes it is better to trackback than to post a comment. Bloggers tend to pay more attention to those linking to them than comments left on their blog.
- Bloggers are in many ways more influential than industry analysts as many of us are getting paid for our opinion removing bias in terms of thinking which aids (doesn't guarantee) in credibility.
- Bloggers tend to actually do more with whatever information you supply to them and have zero interest in terms of publishing only to paid subscribers. Free information sharing guarantees more eyeballs.
- Pitching to a blogger means you don't have to go through the dance of avoiding of fees in order to get coverage. If the topic is something that resonates with them, then they will cover it. Of course, you should think about paying them compensation by donating to worthy charities they favor.
- Bloggers have a bigger potential of becoming a customer. Analysts tend not to buy enterprise software, BPM, ESB, Portals, etc but some bloggers may.