Saturday, November 25, 2006

 

Large Enterprises that contribute to open source...

There is a story that analysts refuse to tell about large enterprises whose primary business model isn't technology and their wonderful contributions to open source. In the past, I have talked about wonderful enterprises such as Duke Energy and Morgan Stanley. Today, I just learned that Aviva who is the second largest insurer in Canada contributed their in-house written ESB to the JBoss project.

They build their own ESB when they started to encounter integration problems rolling out Oracle Financials. Being that they are also a big user of JBoss application server, contributing simply made good business sense. I have even asked other analyst firms such as Redmonk figuring that they wouldn't ignore the idea like the large analysts firms to provide coverage on this emerging dimension. I failed in this approach as well. I did forget to ask Raven Zachary of 451 Group to dig into this and publish, hopefully I won't fail a second time.

Likewise, I think it would be equally interesting if Matt Asay of the OSBC would also track down their CIO and get him/her to speak at the next conference. I will also be pinging Chad Hersh, Donald Light and Matthew Josefowicz of Celent Research to see if they would be game to cover this trend from an industry vertical perspective...




Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
| | View blog reactions


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?