Friday, June 30, 2006

 

The Ruby Community and their love for enterprise architects...

I am greatful for Sebastian Delmont, David Black and David Heinemeier Hansson Co-Presidents of my fan club for designing a shirt in my honor and donating the proceeds to a worthy cause...



Noted Redmonk analyst, James Governor sent me to Rick Bradley who is working on an Enterprise Ruby on Rails project. His work seems credible (doesn't meet my original definition of enterprise though) and I hope that he would continue this fine effort of sharing with others.

Something can be learned from his efforts in that he has attempted to inform vs. attack. Acknowleding that different folks have different perspectives shows a sign of maturity not found elsewhere in the community. Instead of arguing from the point of perspective, he stated undisputable facts. Folks reading this blog entry need to consider adding him to their blogroll...

Awhile back I threw out the challenge to the Ruby community that if within thirty days, they could get a single Fortune 100 enterprise whose primary business isn't technology to tell a story in a public forum (conference or magazine) about how they used Ruby to develop an enterprise application (aka system of record) that I would make a sizable donation to a mutually agreed upon charity. I still have my money in my pocket.



I likewise challenged the community to get a single industry analyst firm that has published a research report (this is distinct from simply blogging about it) outlining why any Fortune enterprise should consider dropping Java for Ruby that this too would result in a charitable donation. I am now challenging the Ruby community to get any large consulting firm with over a thousand employees to publish a case study (by July 15th) on any mission-critical system that supports more than 1,000 concurrent users for any business whose primary business isn't technology where they have developed where the client is 100% on the record that this too would take money out of my pocket.

The funny thing is that at work, there are several folks whom I have the utmost respect for that program in Ruby after hours. I have asked them one and only one question: At work, you have the opportunity to recommend lots of things for us to pursue, yet no mention of Ruby has ever came up in conversation. How come you don't talk about it at work? Never really got a good answer from any of my peers. Maybe someone can provide insight into this question?

Anyway, the one thing that I have developed an appreciation for is in eating my own dog food. When I originally pointed out non-technical deficiencies in Ruby, folks such as Chris Petrilli and James Robertson jumped all over me. By luck or by plan, the conversation seemed to change in that we stopped throwing daggers at each other and instead engaged in an open conversation for all to observe. I wonder who else in the Ruby community not only has the interest but the capability of participating in a two-way conversation...






<< Home
| | View blog reactions


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?