Monday, March 27, 2006

 

Becoming Enterprise Ready

Danny a dutch blogger said something intriguing regarding software development in Ruby that should be considered...



I encourage folks to not only read his post but to provide some amplification to it. I figured that there was one aspect that I wanted to provide my own perspective into which of course I will be setting myself up to get attacked again. The notion of prototyping in front of a customer using either Ruby or Java for that matter by a slick developer should be discouraged for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to:




A couple of weeks ago, I learned that Pratt & Whitney, a manufacturer of aircraft engines started to source most of its work from other countries at the expense of local machine shops who were savage in not only increasing quality over time but also in increasing productivity of its workers. The executives at Pratt & Whitney figured out that it was cheaper to have the same part made by several different manufacturers at the same time, choosing the one that was best produced out of the bunch and throwing out the rest. Will IT also follow this same path?






<< Home
| | View blog reactions


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?