Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Outstanding Questions regarding Enterprise Content Management (ECM)
- There are several "consulting firms" that will come in and assess ECM "architecture". Would love to have a form of litmus test for consulting firms in the ECM space to figure out if their assessment of unified content management strategy is complete and holistic?
- The blogosphere seems excited that folks from Documentum have left to start another content management entity named Alfresco. I would love to hear from other enterprise noodling a switch (They are welcome to contact me privately ;-).
- The notion of IDARS is sometimes thought of as a separate product suite. Curious to understand from a reference architecture perspective how ECM vendors should handle this particular specialization?
- Curious if anyone is aware of any open source Xerox metacode viewer?
- Several vendors have came up with the notion of eContent Integration (ECI) that sit on top of ECM platforms. Many vendors in this space are now being acquired. The real question is whether the ECI layer can/should be replaced with say JSR-170. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of using JSR-170 vs ATOM vs SCA vs JBI for this type of functionality?
- Any thoughts on how federated identity (SAML and/or WS-Federation) should be included in an ECM strategy and specifically integrating SAML with RSS?
- Is there a play for Infocards in this space?
- Which ECM vendors are currently working towards certifying their products on 384 CPU appliances such as Azul Systems?
- How should one think about ECM and Enterprise Service Bus (ESB). Would appreciate a couple of Visio diagrams and guidance on what proper WSDL for this type of integration would look like.
- How should ECM ideally integrate with MS Office tools? I know I can use MS Word add-ins to create blog entries but does this make sense in the long run?
- How should one incorporate the notion of trackback within an enterprise content approach?
- The ECM space doesn't seem to be growing. What are Venture Capitalists considering investing in that would cause future growth?
- Any thoughts on the Open Archival Information System Reference Model?
- How should an enterprise think about ECM platforms that have built-in BPM capability? Should an enterprise be able to disconnect BPM from ECM and use another BPM engine say jBPM?
- How should an ECM strategy think about combining Ajax and CMS?
Links to this post: