Saturday, December 31, 2005
Here are several things CIO's in corporate America should adopt as part of their New Years Resolution:
- Let your people actually lead. Give them something to lead that will allow them to learn, make mistakes, and grow as a leader.
- Don't interfere with their leadership unless absolutely necessary. Nothing destroys morale and confidence more than stepping in (think pile) and taking over.
- Help foster the ideas of your new leaders. Take their ideas seriously; help them to reach correct decisions.
- Show confidence in them. Let them see the 'bigger picture' of the project, team, et. al. every now and then. Let them see some of the decisions you have to make. Suddenly, you might find you have allies when you need to move the team in various directions.
- Stop listening to industry analysts and more importantly don't practice management by magazine. There job is to commoditize information. You cannot gain competitive advantage from commodity approaches.
Links to this post: