Wednesday, November 23, 2005

 

Thoughts on Universities and Information Technology

I recently had the opportunity to present at Rensallaer to a Master's level class on modern perspectives on architecture within corporations. My thesis was based on the fact that history demands rising levels of abstraction.

My very first slide in a subtle way hinted that all the folks in the room weren't really computer science majors but in all reality history majors since universities don't do a great job of keeping up with modern practices such as service-oriented architectures, agile methods for software development and open source.



Anyway, my presentation attempted to convince folks that the practice of architecture is not a science. Some people understood the points I was attempting to make but none 100% consumed it. It is my current thought that I have to start talking about this particular belief more in my blog so as to have a remote chance of ensuring that when my two sons attend college in 2019 and 2021 respectively, they will have the opportunity to follow in their father's footsteps, something that may be lost if we continue on the current path.

I did want to acknowledge though that one university got it right by putting information technology as part of its liberal arts program. Check out this link...






<< Home
| | View blog reactions


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?