Tuesday, May 09, 2006

 
I previously asked him about what would he do if he were an enterprise architect and figured that I should state what I would do if I were in his shoes...



Below are several action items I would assign to myself:

1. Acknowledge that closed source proprietary solutions are no longer in vogue and that pursuit of open source strategies wherever possible may help me reduce expenses, expose me to additional opportunities and even allow my technology to become evangelized by others saving me the problem of having to exclusively market in hopes of rising above the noise.

2. Minimally consider becoming an advocate of all developer tools to become 100% free of charge. This has happened in several other communities where developer seats are now free but the charge remains for production server implementations. This positions Smalltalk and similar tools that still have legacy models behind them to now be learned by folks in countries such as India where they can gain critical mass in order to support large enterprises who may consider developing with the tools.

3. Figure out a way to get the folks over at RedMonk and other analyst firms to change their perception that Smalltalk is dead or has been delegated to minor-league status within the enterprise. Start first by adding influential industry analysts to your blogroll. I would suggest starting with Brenda Michelson and James Governor.

4. While you are adding folks to your blogroll, consider also adding several enterprise architects from Fortune enterprises. Don't attack them and instead engage in a meaningful dialog with them. Never alienate potential customers.

5. Sometimes folks ask questions not just to attack or for some alterior motive but to simply understand. Don't assume and simply attempt to answer questions to the best of your ability. The community grows and prospers when this happens...











<< Home
| | View blog reactions


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?