Thursday, August 03, 2006

 

Becoming too enterprisey?

Yesterday, I was in a meeting and said something absolutely stupid. Today, I have to figure out how to become less enterprisey with the help of the blogosphere...



We got into a discussion about full disk encryption software that we have deployed to our laptops when a coworker asked me about performance. I responded that I didn't notice any performance hits on light word documents but did on heavy ones. He immediately pointed out that if I could distiguish between light and heavy when it comes to word docs that... Of course in having that sinking feeling and wanting to save oneself, I responded with an eye-opening comeback that said that the heavy documents had a lot of Visio diagrams embedded within them.

After work, I took a drive to the local Lowes to look for nails to put into the nailer a coworker let me borrow (Senco SFNII) to finish my home improvement projects because I got tired of smashing my fingers with the hammer. I ran across another architect that works for a major health insurer in the area who commented that his primary IDE is PowerPoint. No wonder enterprises aren't look at Ruby as we are too busy drawing cartoons for IT executives in PowerPoint and justifying our positions by spending way too much time writing up colorful documents in Microsoft Word.

In order to break my enterprisey guilt feeling, I plan on talking with our architecture steering committee regarding the productivity of Ruby on Rails and doing a demonstration as to its capabilities. The blogosphere has been way too cordial to us enterprise architects and this needs to stop. Don't allow me to get away with the bullshit statement of where else has it been used before and instead ask folks like me questions such as when was the last time you tried to build an application with it? Was it successful? etc.

I wonder if I could convince my peers to the benefits of such an approach on a limited scale to go down this path? We know that our architects are ten times smarter than architects that work for other enterprises, so if it is to be done right, maybe we should not only be first but do so in a publicly observable transparent manner. Maybe at the heart of the matter I would represent Ruby on Rails as a viable strategy not because I personally believe it but more to fill in the gaps of my own inadequacies...







<< Home
| | View blog reactions


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?